Yolo County, CA
2014 – 2018
Through an on-call geotechnical engineering and materials testing contract, Blackburn Consulting worked on several roadway rehabilitation projects.
Our geotechnical services included:
- subsurface investigations,
- laboratory mix design programs,
- pavement design, and
- full depth reclamation with cement (FDR-C) recommendations.
During construction, Blackburn’s materials testing services included:
- compaction testing,
- checking of pulverization depth and gradation,
- percent cement added in the field,
- moisture conditioning and compaction,
- laboratory fabricated unconfined compressive strength testing, and
- sampling and testing during hot mix asphalt placement.
Because the FDR-C rehabilitation method requires cement-treated soil, all construction testing had to be completed within two hours of sampling. Blackburn immediately transported samples from the project site to our in-house lab to complete testing within the required time frame.
Blackburn’s field representatives also performed testing on-site to verify gradation after pulverization. This allowed the contractor to react in real time, make any needed adjustments, and avoid costs associated with later corrections.